September 7, 2020
No. Cosmetic surgery for the purpose of having the animal’s appearance confirm to a breed standard or tradition, which alters the appearance of an animal for purely cosmetic purposes is prohibited.
Surgeries due to injury or for reasons of animal health are not considered to be cosmetic surgery.
Examples of cosmetic procedures include:
- tail docking in the equine species
- tail docking in the bovine species
- tail docking in the canine species
- tail docks in newborn puppies
- dewclaw removal in newborn puppies
- tail alteration (nicking / setting) in the equine species
- ear cropping
- onychectomy (de-claw) in species other than the domestic cat
The Legislative amendment came into effect on April 1, 2010.
Veterinarian – Oaks Veterinary Medical & Eme…
Nov 29, 2023
Our client, the Oaks Veterinary Medical & Emergency Referral Centre, is a privately owned, multidisciplinary referral emergency hospital located i…Read More
Veterinarian – Fundy Veterinarians, Shubenacadie …
Nov 23, 2023
This is someone’s dream calling. Someone is dreaming about a career exploring the rolling hills of rural Nova Scotia, visiting barns and stables…Read More